Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mining the MIA






























Mining the MIA

If I were to make my own installations of items from MIA to challenge the viewer’s assumptions about those works through their proximity and interaction I would choose the three works shown above. I would have the pieces in a room that has black walls and black floors possibly with dim or red lighting, but with the pictures brightly illuminated.  One of the pieces is a huge picture of an open mouth. The next picture is of a framed painting that has the words Normal Desires in it hidden in a mess of black paint. I would also include the sculptures of what looks to be two dead sheep lying on the ground mirroring the other’s position. I believe that the effect of placing these three pieces together would be eery and disturbing.  I want the pieces to make the viewer think about things not talked about and about private life.  The Normal Desires painting is what spurred the whole idea. The picture is dark and messy looking, not "normal" in any way.  When I saw it gave me a feeling that was the opposite of normal. It was a complete contradiction of itself. I wanted to intensify this feeling so I added other disturbing imagery. I think that the images of the dead animals and the large open mouth strengthen the original message of the painting. The disturbing display is meant to create questions from the viewer. The display conveys an unsettling vision of the unusual and things usually kept private.


SKETCH OF WHAT THE INSTALLATION MAY LOOK LIKE

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting mix of images and seems like it would raise more questions than it answers. It immediately has me wondering whether 'normal desires' refers to death, eating/consuming, speaking, sex, etc, and whether there is something dark about those desires. I wonder if it might be a more powerful installation if the two paintings were on opposing walls with the ceramic piece on the floor, between them.

    Who are these works by, in what materials, when were they made? Remember you still need to cite sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the imagery that is created. I understand your thinking behind the "normal desires" painting, that sometimes people choose to mask certain wants and desires because of some social stigma or because their desire is a social faux pas. I think that is very interesting however I don't quite understand how the dead sheep come into the mix. Are you commenting on the artist's desires? or your own? or the desire of a group of people?

    ReplyDelete