Thursday, October 29, 2009

Shoestring Potatoes Spilling from a Bag


SHOESTRING POTATOES SPILLING FROM A BAG
Claes Oldenburg
(http://artsconnected.org/resource/91486/15/shoestring-potatoes-spilling-from-a-bag)

"I am for an art that imitates the human, that is comic, if necessary, or violent. . . . I am for an art that takes its form from the lines of life itself, that twists and extends and accumulates and drips, and is heavy and coarse and blunt and sweet and stupid as life itself."--Claes Oldenburg
(http://artsconnected.org/resource/91486/15/shoestring-potatoes-spilling-from-a-bag)

This soft sculpture is by Claes Oldenburg.  It was made using canvas, kapok, glue, and acrylic.  This work of art was made in 1966.  Claes was interesting in pushing the limits of art and creating things using different mediums.  His works were often made as a judgement of the amount of consumerism in our culture.  The work, Shoestring Potatoes Spilling from a Bag was made as a response to a life magazine advertisement.  It was made with the sculpture Soft Ketchup Bottle as its companion. 

I have always been amazed by Claes Oldenburg's larger than life statues.  Spoonbridge and Cherry has always amazed me and been one of my favorite works of art at the Walker.  I was impressed with Three-Way Plug, but I have an odd reaction to it.  This is similar to the way I feel about Shoestring Potatoes Spilling from a Bag.  When I first saw it I was immediately impressed, but disgusted.  Claes does a great job of mocking advertisements and our consumer based culture.  I was disgusted by the colors used to make this work and also the softness of the sculpture.  The fries pouring out of the bag look soggy, dirty and old.  It makes me feel sick to my stomach and I lose my appetite.  I love it when art can make me feel something.  Whether that something is good or bad.  Shoestring Potatoes Spilling from a Bag deffinitely made me feel something.  Although it wasn't a favorable reaction I think it is exactly what Claes was going for.  A humorous yet interesting and disgusting depiction of what our society has become, advertisers and consumers.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I think a lot of people look at work like this and simply find it funny, but you are seeing (and feeling!) the social commentary within the otherwise goofy piece. Do you think that the sickened feeling strengthens the commentary? You should check out some of his really early works, from when he ran a "store" in New York; they are especially gloopy and disgusting:

    http://www.uic.edu/depts/ahaa/classes/ah111/oldenbrg.jpg

    ReplyDelete